Skip to main content

Featured Post

Conversation starter?

Questions are good things. They are there to get to know others and to find the common ground with each other, with the people we want to love. Well, I would think that the biggest thing I need to learn is to love myself. I think at least. I like lists, I make lists, mainly about anime and manga that I want to read and watch. And sometimes about American books too. My life does revolve around things that I consume. And I do not know if I am fine with that. I would like to fancy myself that I like philosophy, but in truth, I like the idea of philosophy. In the sense, philosophy means the love of knowledge, because we cannot know everything. So we need to start with things that we do not know, even though there are many famous figures in philosophy, I do not want to read from them. Because the biggest thing that I do not know if myself. And, as I am right now, I am more interested in filling the emptiness in me, if that makes sense. But I like questions. So, I went out and looked for que

Fushigi Neko no Kyuu-chan Volume 1 & 2 - Review

Fushigi Neko no Kyuu-chan is a still ongoing 4-koma, or yonkoma series about a lively and wonderful cat and his everyday life with his human Hinata. It is made by Nitori Sasami and was serialized in Twi 4 magazine, published by Seikaisha in 2018. Right now they are up to volume 5 and they are still going strong.

Kyuu chan was adopted by Hinata, a usually bored-looking young man on a snowy day. From being stary to finally having a place to stay Kyuu is really attacked to Hinata and tries everything to make him human happy. This is a wholesome and positive story about an extraordinary cat having quite a normal day to day life with his human. I can highly recommend this little series since it is easy to read and quick to understand what is going on. It has it's own quite charming atmosphere that are perfect for times when you feel down (if you are a mood reader like me). There are some chapters where the pages are animated, which is quite nice and unique, but it was advertised that the updates can be found on the author's twitter.

Nitori Sasami's twitter: https://twitter.com/nitorisasami

The characters can all be described as cute. At first, it is only the two of them, but Hinata's colleagues come in the picture too, who are animal lovers themselves. After reading the first and second volumes I can recommend this story to everyone who wants to entertain themselves with an easy heartwarming story. After all, cats are the best.

I will continue reading and continue to write about the other volumes too, even though there is nothing much that can be written about them since the set up is so simple. However, I do have the fear that no matter how wholesome and good-hearted the 4-koma is it could easily slip into being boring.

The majority of the stories are small four-panel one-shots but a few of them have an umbrella theme around it, like autumn, rainy days and spring cleaning. They are characters that return, not just Hinata's colleagues, but characters like the delivery man, and the shop owner, and the ghost. These are more of Kyuu's friends.

Kyuu, the titular character is a wonderful cat, but he is kind-hearted who thinks about others and works hard. He often tries to help out with the housework and tries to make Hinata's day a little bit easier. One series of 4-panels are entierly about Hinata forgetting his bento and Kyuu trying to return it to him. Their relationship between them is something special and makes the 4-koma more enjoyable.

I will give both volumes a score: 10/10 and hope that the other volumes are in the same caliber.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Bungaku Shoujo" Movie - Review

Score: 9/10 The review contains spoilers. "Bungaku Shoujo" Movie, is the movie adaptation from Production I.G, directed and storyboarded by Tada Shunsuke. This movie adapted the fifth volume of the light novel series: "Bungaku Shoujo" to Doukoku no Palmier according to myanimelist. The series of "Bungaku Shoujo" is broader, having a long-running light novel series and a manga series written by Nomura Mizuki. That saying, this movie is an adaptation of a smart part of a larger story and a lot of things can be explained away with that. However, I don't think that it will take away from the enjoyment of the adaptation to people who had read the original. Tada Shunsuke had directed World Destruction: Sekai Bokumetsu no Rokunin, an anime that I had watched with the English dub, but one that I hadn't regretted it. This was a pleasant surprise for me since I will definitely talk about that series too in a positive note. This means that as a director Tada

"0" Review

Long story short: 5/10 pretty decent and middle of the road. Music videos come in many forms and shapes  and form and animation is one of them. In my opinion, a disappointing animation is worse than a disappointing live-action; even though the focal point of a music video is on the music .  The most important thing is clearly the music, the animation here is a kind of bonus experience. I say this because this music video is hard to find on the internet, so I couldn’t re-watch it. (I decided to include "0" because this was between the first short anime music videos that I had watched when I started to watch anime more regularly. And I couldn't leave it without a word.)  Because, if this I based my writing on memory alone, and the recounting of other people writing about this animation. H owever, understanding the things  that go into making a music video is important . While you can judge the animation on of itself, it is needed to be understood that many things go into th

"Aoi" Hikaru ga Chikyuu ni Ita Koro...... - Review

The quasi-delinquent Akagi Koremitsu ends up being haunted by a schoolmate of his, Mikado Hikaru he is stopped into fulfilling one last promise that Hikaru had made. Otherwise, Hikaru's spirit can't rest in peace. However, Saotome Aoi is mad at Hikaru and wouldn't have anything to do with the feared Koremitsu. I decided to write my thought as I go in reading the manga since even though I find it decent I don't have much hope to it being something that would impress me too much. The art of the manga is beautiful and simplistic. Here I mostly mean the characters, the two leads, Koremitsu and Hikaru are complete opposites of each other and that is shown nicely in the rendering of the characters. The background is something that should have gotten a little bit more polishing, it is boring to look at but helps to make the characters pop out more. However, this runs the risk of the arts seemingly being uninspired and hard to remember. It is interesting. You can skip ahead pas