Skip to main content

Featured Post

Conversation starter?

Questions are good things. They are there to get to know others and to find the common ground with each other, with the people we want to love. Well, I would think that the biggest thing I need to learn is to love myself. I think at least. I like lists, I make lists, mainly about anime and manga that I want to read and watch. And sometimes about American books too. My life does revolve around things that I consume. And I do not know if I am fine with that. I would like to fancy myself that I like philosophy, but in truth, I like the idea of philosophy. In the sense, philosophy means the love of knowledge, because we cannot know everything. So we need to start with things that we do not know, even though there are many famous figures in philosophy, I do not want to read from them. Because the biggest thing that I do not know if myself. And, as I am right now, I am more interested in filling the emptiness in me, if that makes sense. But I like questions. So, I went out and looked for que

A Boy Who Fishes Dreams - review

Score: 8/10

"This one shot has won 3rd spot of Daewon manhwa contest, and thus the author has a high(er) chance of being employed by Issue magazine." (Source: Sura's Place)

This is a one-shot made by Hannah-hye, serialized in Daiwon in 2012.

☾ The art is a little bit off, I can't really put my hands on it, but the characters are a little bit stiff looking. But this is something that can be accepted from someone who only has one worked credited to them yet - this may be the creator's first work. But there is a lot of potential in them, just by seeing how they are leading the story. The background is actually okay, the scenes are well set.

☾ The story is about two boys who are in employment in an illegal dream recording business. They are giving hope to people whit recording their dreams and playing it back to them via nanotechnology. This is a futuristic technology that was banned because of criminals using it to blackmail people, which I can see happening even though banning things just always leads to more demand for it. If you legalize things it would be easier to maintain and monitor it, but whatever, people do stupid things... The story seemed really average until it came to the content of the dream. I knew that something will happen when we didn't see what she was reacting to that, even though getting a second-hand explanation on what's going doesn't really work for me. But the twist is genuinely good.

[Spoiler: The client, who asked her mother's dream to be extracted never finds out that her mother had a twin, who never had gotten to be born because of the client. This actually happens with a lot of twins, but it is hard for a mother to deal with. Because of that, she had never shown love towards the client. The client got to see a lie that out main character constructed, cutting out the monster that the mother saw the client as and she had thought that the twin was her. The mother in her dream and in her failing brain had imagined the dead twin taking over the client's life. The most horrifying about this is that thanks to their meddling the client will forever believe in false comfort. There is a serious doubt there that can mess with people's minds. But honestly, I wouldn't have been able to show it to anyone the truth, even though it would have been fair.]

If you would watch it from a different angle, the entire story could work as a horror or thriller. But with this light-hearted tone, it is more sad and tragic than anything. Stories that work from more angles always work better in my opinion.

☾ The characters are simple, but this is not really a problem seeing that this one-shot is more about a situation than about characters. Strangely, I don't remember if the characters were ever mentioned by name, there are an actual dream recorder and his helper, who is only in it for the money. This is an interesting dynamic, even though the helper is there so the dream worker, the titular character in a sense doesn't need to endanger himself, but it is him who does the dirty part of the work because he feels like he can do anything. The characters are well written for a one-shot.

All in all, Hanna-hye did a fantastic job with this work. It is worth the ready, it certainly made me think and it is an enjoyable read, the third place is well deserved. I can recommend this to everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Bungaku Shoujo" Movie - Review

Score: 9/10 The review contains spoilers. "Bungaku Shoujo" Movie, is the movie adaptation from Production I.G, directed and storyboarded by Tada Shunsuke. This movie adapted the fifth volume of the light novel series: "Bungaku Shoujo" to Doukoku no Palmier according to myanimelist. The series of "Bungaku Shoujo" is broader, having a long-running light novel series and a manga series written by Nomura Mizuki. That saying, this movie is an adaptation of a smart part of a larger story and a lot of things can be explained away with that. However, I don't think that it will take away from the enjoyment of the adaptation to people who had read the original. Tada Shunsuke had directed World Destruction: Sekai Bokumetsu no Rokunin, an anime that I had watched with the English dub, but one that I hadn't regretted it. This was a pleasant surprise for me since I will definitely talk about that series too in a positive note. This means that as a director Tada

"0" Review

Long story short: 5/10 pretty decent and middle of the road. Music videos come in many forms and shapes  and form and animation is one of them. In my opinion, a disappointing animation is worse than a disappointing live-action; even though the focal point of a music video is on the music .  The most important thing is clearly the music, the animation here is a kind of bonus experience. I say this because this music video is hard to find on the internet, so I couldn’t re-watch it. (I decided to include "0" because this was between the first short anime music videos that I had watched when I started to watch anime more regularly. And I couldn't leave it without a word.)  Because, if this I based my writing on memory alone, and the recounting of other people writing about this animation. H owever, understanding the things  that go into making a music video is important . While you can judge the animation on of itself, it is needed to be understood that many things go into th

Conversation starter?

Questions are good things. They are there to get to know others and to find the common ground with each other, with the people we want to love. Well, I would think that the biggest thing I need to learn is to love myself. I think at least. I like lists, I make lists, mainly about anime and manga that I want to read and watch. And sometimes about American books too. My life does revolve around things that I consume. And I do not know if I am fine with that. I would like to fancy myself that I like philosophy, but in truth, I like the idea of philosophy. In the sense, philosophy means the love of knowledge, because we cannot know everything. So we need to start with things that we do not know, even though there are many famous figures in philosophy, I do not want to read from them. Because the biggest thing that I do not know if myself. And, as I am right now, I am more interested in filling the emptiness in me, if that makes sense. But I like questions. So, I went out and looked for que