Skip to main content

Featured Post

Conversation starter?

Questions are good things. They are there to get to know others and to find the common ground with each other, with the people we want to love. Well, I would think that the biggest thing I need to learn is to love myself. I think at least. I like lists, I make lists, mainly about anime and manga that I want to read and watch. And sometimes about American books too. My life does revolve around things that I consume. And I do not know if I am fine with that. I would like to fancy myself that I like philosophy, but in truth, I like the idea of philosophy. In the sense, philosophy means the love of knowledge, because we cannot know everything. So we need to start with things that we do not know, even though there are many famous figures in philosophy, I do not want to read from them. Because the biggest thing that I do not know if myself. And, as I am right now, I am more interested in filling the emptiness in me, if that makes sense. But I like questions. So, I went out and looked for que

Chichi to Hige Gorira to Watashi - manga review "Happily crying"

Score: 10/10


This story is not really for everyone, mainly because it is a slice of life story, full of funny little moments and it is not that dramatic. The drama is well balanced out with the comedy element making the characters sympathetic and nice.



The story is not without its flaws, there are some things that I can't stand in it, however, these things are something that is never like in anything so I rarely take away points from a story for including these things. These are the implication that your happily ever after comes with marriage, however, this is how the characters are set up from day one, so I kind of saw it coming. Here, I can imagine that marriage is these characters happy ever after, and not something that is made into a universal truth. The characters are strongly written in that sense.

"After losing her mother to a traffic accident, 5-year old tomboy Michiru finds a "suspicious person" moving into her home: her father's younger brother Kouji, whom she quickly nicknames “Beard Gorilla.” While awkward at first, it doesn’t take long for them to develop a relationship that's closer to one between a brother and sister than an uncle and niece." - mangaupdates.com


It is a light read with all of its 7 volumes and 98 chapters a good read, but best consumed in small bursts. Let the story develop in you.




This series was made by Koike Sadaji in 2011 and it was published by Takeshobo in their Manga Kubaru.

❃.✮:▹ What are didn't like, is more cultural, but you can find it everywhere, the idea that the man needs to support and protect the woman he is marrying. Don't take me wrong, it is a nice gesture if it comes out of genuinely carrying for someone, but if it comes out of some sort of obligation then it is a huge put off for me. This is something that I would like to know beforehand if I would marry someone. This is extremely personal, and I know I am in the minority here, but what I would want is a love where you don't need to play roles. A love without roles is much purer than one with one. Both of you should support and protect each other, this cannot be a one-way street.

Another thing that I didn't like, even though it leads to some interesting and funny scenes in this manga, is the old fashioned asking the girl's father to let them marry. Here in the story, it comes down more like thinking about the in-laws and such, I know that you are connected to your family, and not liking the boyfriend is an age of gag in family dramas, however, it is not healthy, and in the end, it needs to be their decision, even if it is a mistake. You need to make mistakes to learn from them or to know that they are mistakes at all, even if it means marrying the wrong guy.

The other thing that I didn't like is the daycare teacher applying adult logic to children and trying to decide who is dating who. I know that things are different when you are a child, I remember when I was Michiru's age and who I had a crush on, but it always throws me off when adults do things like that.

With all the grievances aside let's see what was really good about this manga.



❃.✮:▹ The art is interesting and unique, more on the cute side than anything. The simplicity is charming and the characters are memorable in their designs. Also, the backgrounds, while they are not really that detailed, I can make peace with them, since the simplistic background matches the simplistic character design. All in all, a good choice. Michiru is cute, however, I ended up liking Kouji, the uncle's character design the most. I could see that drawing him was the most fun, next to Souichi.

❃.✮:▹ The characters are strongly written. I was worried that once the human drama had kicked in, I would lose interest in the characters, but these are all well-intentioned people who want good and do good in their life. They are quirky and fun, but also quite trouble. We can see Souichi having trouble getting over Miyuki's death and can't forget her that easily. I was satisfied with who got together with who, even though I don't always like the idea that everyone needs to get married, but I talked about that already. 

Out of the side characters I liked Hino the most. The guy's humor and enthusiasm with his hobby of studying Souichi is great.

The kids were kids and seeing Michiru grow up is something nice. [Spoiler: One one point she graduates from daycare and goes into elementary and that is almost a point where you can feel things changing.]

It was promised to us that the characters: Michiru and Kouji will go from hate to love relationship and that is certainly a premiss. It happens seamlessly and that is the strong point of the manga. That is also the hardest part of the manga. From the beginning, we are told that Kouji will move out and that this is temporary, and we know that, but the ending still doesn't make it easier.

❃.✮:▹ In the end, I enjoyed this manga. It is short, it is fun and it is cute, in every way I need it. I was glad that I had found it, and I can recommend it to everyone. It had brought tears in my eyes with its last chapters. I did feel like I need to say goodbye to these people, and that is hard. Those are the trappings of slice of life mangas I think, and that's why they are so good. It is well written.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Bungaku Shoujo" Movie - Review

Score: 9/10 The review contains spoilers. "Bungaku Shoujo" Movie, is the movie adaptation from Production I.G, directed and storyboarded by Tada Shunsuke. This movie adapted the fifth volume of the light novel series: "Bungaku Shoujo" to Doukoku no Palmier according to myanimelist. The series of "Bungaku Shoujo" is broader, having a long-running light novel series and a manga series written by Nomura Mizuki. That saying, this movie is an adaptation of a smart part of a larger story and a lot of things can be explained away with that. However, I don't think that it will take away from the enjoyment of the adaptation to people who had read the original. Tada Shunsuke had directed World Destruction: Sekai Bokumetsu no Rokunin, an anime that I had watched with the English dub, but one that I hadn't regretted it. This was a pleasant surprise for me since I will definitely talk about that series too in a positive note. This means that as a director Tada

"0" Review

Long story short: 5/10 pretty decent and middle of the road. Music videos come in many forms and shapes  and form and animation is one of them. In my opinion, a disappointing animation is worse than a disappointing live-action; even though the focal point of a music video is on the music .  The most important thing is clearly the music, the animation here is a kind of bonus experience. I say this because this music video is hard to find on the internet, so I couldn’t re-watch it. (I decided to include "0" because this was between the first short anime music videos that I had watched when I started to watch anime more regularly. And I couldn't leave it without a word.)  Because, if this I based my writing on memory alone, and the recounting of other people writing about this animation. H owever, understanding the things  that go into making a music video is important . While you can judge the animation on of itself, it is needed to be understood that many things go into th

"Aoi" Hikaru ga Chikyuu ni Ita Koro...... - Review

The quasi-delinquent Akagi Koremitsu ends up being haunted by a schoolmate of his, Mikado Hikaru he is stopped into fulfilling one last promise that Hikaru had made. Otherwise, Hikaru's spirit can't rest in peace. However, Saotome Aoi is mad at Hikaru and wouldn't have anything to do with the feared Koremitsu. I decided to write my thought as I go in reading the manga since even though I find it decent I don't have much hope to it being something that would impress me too much. The art of the manga is beautiful and simplistic. Here I mostly mean the characters, the two leads, Koremitsu and Hikaru are complete opposites of each other and that is shown nicely in the rendering of the characters. The background is something that should have gotten a little bit more polishing, it is boring to look at but helps to make the characters pop out more. However, this runs the risk of the arts seemingly being uninspired and hard to remember. It is interesting. You can skip ahead pas