Skip to main content

Featured Post

Conversation starter?

Questions are good things. They are there to get to know others and to find the common ground with each other, with the people we want to love. Well, I would think that the biggest thing I need to learn is to love myself. I think at least. I like lists, I make lists, mainly about anime and manga that I want to read and watch. And sometimes about American books too. My life does revolve around things that I consume. And I do not know if I am fine with that. I would like to fancy myself that I like philosophy, but in truth, I like the idea of philosophy. In the sense, philosophy means the love of knowledge, because we cannot know everything. So we need to start with things that we do not know, even though there are many famous figures in philosophy, I do not want to read from them. Because the biggest thing that I do not know if myself. And, as I am right now, I am more interested in filling the emptiness in me, if that makes sense. But I like questions. So, I went out and looked for que

The Eyes of Sora - Chapter review [17-21] "All talk, no action"

Continuation of the chapter review. This is turning into quite the reading journal.

[Part 1.] https://runawaysdaydreams.blogspot.com/2020/02/the-eyes-of-sora-chapter-review-1-6.html
[Part 2.] https://runawaysdaydreams.blogspot.com/2020/03/the-eyes-of-sora-chapter-review-7-16-i.html

Sadly as we go further, the more confusing things are getting. The author doesn't need to hold your hands, but there are problems when you are getting lost in the sea of explanations and info-dumping. The problem is that everyone here seemingly knows everything and the one who doesn't, meaning Kanghee, who is trying to uncover things is getting the least of the screen time. Because of this, when it comes to the supernatural we, the audience can't really fall in the same step with Sora.

Interestingly, now that I think about it Mushishi had done this a little bit better. There we had followed Ginko, he knew everything but us, the audience wasn't lost. We weren't really held by the hand and everything was kind of explained. Maybe because we knew from the start hot the mushis work.

I don't think that the problem here is that I as a Europian doesn't know a lot about Korean spiritual creatures and folklore, things like that can be set up, and I think that it should be set up, no matter if the audience already should know things or not. This is not a problem. This manhwa has a strange attitude towards information and how to give it to the audience because we don't understand the basics, how things work in the story, we can't really understand when the explanation goes into the finer details, like the importance of using an object when summoning and things like that. This wouldn't be a problem, however, the story focuses more on the spiritual than the relationships between the characters. And it could get away with it if it would focus on what it actually wants to focus on.

This story was clearly written with passion, no doubt about it, but it does feel like it wasn't to be two entirely different things at the same time.

Score: 6/10



Chapter 17 + 18: Sora's condition is turning worse and there is no real way that they can deal with it right now. I don't think that they would pass the misfortune to someone else. When he was a child, Sora had promised that if the time comes, he could even die for Jeongha. And Jenogha's memories are going. The woman that shows up in his dreams, I do think that she is his dead mother. It can't mean good things when your dead mother is visiting you and even she warns you about you not being entirely you. And the people worshiping a snake god and dealing in curses, they will be showing up in the future, I don't think they were only included for world-building.

Note: The mood that this story is told, this constant jumping back and fort and uncovering things that the characters technically know is starting to be really bothersome. It feels like I'm getting whiplash by every chapter and not in a good way. The chapters feel short, yet a lot of things happen in them. And at the same time, it does feel that there is no progress, that is this jumping back and forth thing that's happening. It could work, but for some reason, it doesn't, and it is not like we don't know when we are in the past and when we are in the present. 

It could have worked better if the scenes with the past would happen in separate chapters. Like we find out something in the past and then it will have to do something with the present in the next chapter? That could have work. I just know that reading this manhwa is actually making me dizzy and my enjoyment falls with it.

Character Note: It is really annoying to see things from Jeongha's perspective, I get that he is suffering too and that he doesn't really hate Sora, but he is the type of person that is hard to redeem in fiction. It is good that he is trying to help Sora, but we already spent so many chapters with him being an insufferable bastard.

Chapter 19:  If I would be Kanghee I wouldn't try to deal with these people, even if I would consider Sora my friend. I think that this is something that he needs to realizes that he is fucking up and I don't think to go around and asking around could help us in many ways. "I get the feeling that the more I know, the more I don't understand..." Kanghee, this is the time when you nope out of the story.

Score: 7/10

═════ ∘◦ ミ⛧ ◦∘ ═════

Chapter 20 + 21: People in the mountain (the ones who raised Sora) are money-grubbing bastards! ( ̄y▽ ̄)╭ Ohohoho... Way to go, calling them out. It would have been nice if we would have seen it, but whatever. No, we did see that exorcism is expensive! That's why Kanghee couldn't go anywhere else to get help! I'm an idiot. Jeongha has a half-brother that his father had from an illegitimate relationship with an actress Lee Shi-Yeon. And they will use him as a substitute to take the misfortune off of Sora. They are really doing this... I still think that this is going too far. I am not up on this morally speaking even if we are taking off just a little and even if this kid consents to it. And isn't this something that we should talk with Sora about?

Now daddy dear thinks Jeongha and Kanghee are dating, and I hope they won't be going along with this just because they still want to stalk the other half-brother. By the way, asking something like, 'please shoulder half of my bad fortune for me' is kind of a big thing to ask from a middle school kid. Just saying. I know that they want it only for the time being, but things won't go how they want it and they don't realize this.

So, there is this image with Jeongha with a knife? What? Something like this happened in the past? I can't handle this story, it is like an unenjoyable rollercoaster.

Score: 6/10

════════════════════════════════════════════════════

Quote: "He is polite to everyone he knows, he's friendly, he treats everyone kindly... And smiles to everyone. To put it differently, to him, no one is special."

════════════════════════════════════════════════════

Trivia: [1.] Never would have thought that I would be quoting Jeongha, but I actually quite like this one. It is interesting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Bungaku Shoujo" Movie - Review

Score: 9/10 The review contains spoilers. "Bungaku Shoujo" Movie, is the movie adaptation from Production I.G, directed and storyboarded by Tada Shunsuke. This movie adapted the fifth volume of the light novel series: "Bungaku Shoujo" to Doukoku no Palmier according to myanimelist. The series of "Bungaku Shoujo" is broader, having a long-running light novel series and a manga series written by Nomura Mizuki. That saying, this movie is an adaptation of a smart part of a larger story and a lot of things can be explained away with that. However, I don't think that it will take away from the enjoyment of the adaptation to people who had read the original. Tada Shunsuke had directed World Destruction: Sekai Bokumetsu no Rokunin, an anime that I had watched with the English dub, but one that I hadn't regretted it. This was a pleasant surprise for me since I will definitely talk about that series too in a positive note. This means that as a director Tada

"0" Review

Long story short: 5/10 pretty decent and middle of the road. Music videos come in many forms and shapes  and form and animation is one of them. In my opinion, a disappointing animation is worse than a disappointing live-action; even though the focal point of a music video is on the music .  The most important thing is clearly the music, the animation here is a kind of bonus experience. I say this because this music video is hard to find on the internet, so I couldn’t re-watch it. (I decided to include "0" because this was between the first short anime music videos that I had watched when I started to watch anime more regularly. And I couldn't leave it without a word.)  Because, if this I based my writing on memory alone, and the recounting of other people writing about this animation. H owever, understanding the things  that go into making a music video is important . While you can judge the animation on of itself, it is needed to be understood that many things go into th

Conversation starter?

Questions are good things. They are there to get to know others and to find the common ground with each other, with the people we want to love. Well, I would think that the biggest thing I need to learn is to love myself. I think at least. I like lists, I make lists, mainly about anime and manga that I want to read and watch. And sometimes about American books too. My life does revolve around things that I consume. And I do not know if I am fine with that. I would like to fancy myself that I like philosophy, but in truth, I like the idea of philosophy. In the sense, philosophy means the love of knowledge, because we cannot know everything. So we need to start with things that we do not know, even though there are many famous figures in philosophy, I do not want to read from them. Because the biggest thing that I do not know if myself. And, as I am right now, I am more interested in filling the emptiness in me, if that makes sense. But I like questions. So, I went out and looked for que